The Engineering Department provides the general public, engineers and surveyors with record drawings, deeds, utility information and research documents for parcels, and right of ways throughout the city.


We provide engineering design services, surveying for municipal projects as well as utility inspections for subdivisions and site developments.
We maintain all public records for public utilities, subdivision plans and all supplied available site and plot plans as well as the city’s assessor maps.

The department has undertaken the task of scanning all the original engineering records in the office and have them available in digital format. We have approximately 58,000 documents scanned and will be happy to email plans upon request.

Maps – Geographic Information System (GIS)

The Engineering Department has developed and maintains the City’s GIS system. We provide fully functional geodatabases and mapping for use by the general public.

The data is updated constantly to ensure that the most current data is displayed.
Information can be printed from the website or individuals may use the kiosk at the counter to research or view properties and utilities and obtain copies of any information.



Frequently Asked Questions

There are several methods of obtaining a plot plan. The Engineering Department house numerous plot plans for the individual lots in the city. The
Building Department may also have a copy in their records, the registry of
deeds in Cambridge, MA. Or you can hire a professional land surveyor to
prepare a certified copy.

A partial list of Engineers and Surveyors can be obtained in the Engineering

The Engineering Department has all of the Assessor maps in digital format on a computer at the counter and on CD. Residents can come in and specify the information that is desired and custom maps can be printed.

To determine if you are in a flood zone, you will need to have a Land
Surveyor perform a survey and complete and elevation certificate delineating the areas of the property which may be in a flood zone.

The Engineering Department has record locations of the water and sewer mains within the right of way and individual house service connections. Water service locations can also be obtained from the Water Department at the Department of Public Works.

The only way to accurately determine is a fence or any other structure may or may not be on your property is to hire a registered land surveyor. The will conduct an instrument survey and determine what is on your land.

If you think that a tree is within the city right of way, you can contact the Superintendent of Public Works/Tree Warden. If the location is to close to determine by visual inspection, the Engineering Department will take field measurements to determine its location. A written determination will be sent to the Superintendent of Public Works/Tree Warden for further action.


John E. Corey Jr. PE

City Engineer
781 897-5882

Greg Rheaume

Assistant City Engineer
781 897-5885

Matthew Barrett, GISP

GIS Coordinator & sUAS Operator/PIC
781 897-5883

Jim Shattuck

Sealer of Weights and Measures
781 897-5880

John E. Corey Jr. PE

City Engineer

Greg Rheaume

Assistant City Engineer

Matthew S. Barrett, GISP

GIS Coordinator & sUAS Operator/PIC

James T. Shattuck

Sealer of Weights and Measures

Latest News View All

Posted on
MAY 17TH 2024

Public Works Week 2024

Advancing Quality of Life for All Sunday May 19, 2024 marks th...

The Problem with Pet Waste

Do Your “Doody” for Clean Water: Scoop the Poop! ...

Fix a Leak Week, 2024

Are you ready to chase down leaks? Household leaks can waste nearly 1 trillion gallons of water annually nationwide, so ...