The Sealer of Weights and Measures inspects all commercial weighing and measuring devices designated as “legal for trade” to assure that they are maintained within acceptable tolerances as defined by state and federal law. These devices include:
- Mechanical and electronic weighing devices found in supermarkets, delicatessens, bakeries, groceries and eating places,
- Computerized retail scanning devices, reverse vending machines (can & bottle returns)
- Apothecary scales, balances and weights, taximeters
- Retail fuel pumps dispensing gasoline and diesel
- Oil truck meters
- Linear measures such as yardsticks and tape
Duties Also Include:
- Performing routine price verification in retail establishments having computerized scanning devices.
- Collecting all appropriate fees due the city and deposits receipts with the city Treasurer.
- Serving as a consumer advocate by investigating any concerns or complaints relative to questionable selling practices.
- Maintaining accurate and detailed records for all of the above, and reports annually to the city council.
- Performing other related duties as required by the city and the commonwealth.
If you would like to schedule an appointment to have your scales/scanners or gas pumps sealed, contact: