March 2022

Welcome Bob Davis as the new Veterans Service Officer.

Effective immediately, Mayor Scott Galvin has appointed Robert M Davis as the Director of Veterans Services for the City of Woburn, replacing Lawrence “Larry” Guiseppe. We thank Larry for his 12 years of dedication and unparalleled support for our Veterans.

Bob is a life-long resident of Woburn, who served in the United States Marine Corps from 1985 to 1989 as a Section Chief with the 2nd Battalion 11th Marines.  He served in Okinawa, Philippines and Korea and was honorably discharged in 1989.

Bob was a former Athletic Director of the City of Woburn Boys and Girls Club and spent 20 years working at Comcast.  He currently resides in North Woburn with his loving wife, Carmen and daughters, Alyssa and Lyndsey.

Please stop by or call to introduce yourself as Bob is eager to meet and support the Veterans of the Woburn community and assist in educating them on the numerous benefits allotted to Veterans, their spouses and dependents.



Woburn Mayor Scott Galvin, and the Board of Health are asking members of the Woburn community to continue practicing strict physical distancing and other preventative measures to save lives and contain the spread of COVID-19. Need updates, click here.

The Woburn Veterans Office is officially open by Appointment ONLY!


We want Veterans to take advantage of VA’s Keep Me Informed tool.  When they use the tool, they’ll receive updates on how VA is providing vaccines across the country–and when they can get their vaccine if they want one: You can also call the VA Vaccine clinic at 781-687-4000. We also encourage Veterans to visit the VA Coronavirus Vaccine FAQs Webpage.

For the latest coronavirus information, visit the CDC website.



The priority of the Veterans’ Services Department is to aid and assist all veterans, their widows or spouses, and/or their dependent children, in the City of Woburn through the Massachusetts Department of Veterans’ Services, with short or long term medical assistance, financial aid, assistance with state applications for veterans’ benefits, and administration of veteran’s benefits provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

Our office also assists the United Veterans Council with Memorial Day commemorations, Veterans Day commemorations, memorial squares, and proper flag disposal.           


Blue Star Banners

If you have any relative living in Woburn that is currently on active duty, please contact our office with their name and address and visit us to pick up a Blue Star Banner for your home.  These Blue Star Banners are compliments of Woburn’s Veterans of Foreign Wars post – VFW Post 543.

This Blue Star service flag or service banner is an official U.S. banner that family members of active duty service members display.  The banner has a blue star for each family member serving active duty in the armed forces.


Seeking Deployed Soldiers

Due to privacy laws, the veterans’ department is not notified of deployed soldiers.  If you have a family member serving active duty, please let us know as many of our local schools and organizations are always looking to send letters and care packages to our soldiers.


Free Newspaper Subscription for a Family Member or Friend Serving in the Military

The Daily Times Chronicle will mail free newspapers to your family member or friend actively serving in our Armed Forces, whether or not you are a subscriber. Send a little piece of home to someone far away. Call the Circulation Office at 781-933-3700 to start  this free subscription.


Frequently Asked Questions

The veterans’ office has access to the Massachusetts military records database and can look up a DD214/discharge record if one enlisted in the military while living in Massachusetts. If a record isn’t in this database, our office can assist you completing a request (SF 180) that we send to the National Military Archives in St. Louis, Missouri. Download the Standard Form 180 in the Documents Tab.

Massachusetts General Laws, c. 4, sec. 7, cl. 43rd as amended by the Acts of 2005, ch. 130: (See Full Definition in Documents Tab)

If you served in the active military, naval or air service and are separated under any condition other than dishonorable, you may qualify for VA health care benefits. The first step is to apply. The Veterans’ Services office can assist you completing the four page application.

A lot of companies offer discounts if you show a veteran identification (i.d.) card. This i.d. card is actually your picture i.d. that you get when enrolling in the VA health care system. Our office can assist you with the application (VA Form 10-10EZ) for applying for the VA health care system.

The United States Flag: Federal Law Relating to Display
and Associated Questions (U.S.Congress, Updated April 14, 2008.)
Visit the related link to read about proper flag display, flag condition and more.

The United States Code,Title 4 Chapter 1, Section 8, says “The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.” You can leave old and worn flags at the Veterans Office, at the bin at the lower level of City Hall, or the bin at front entrance of the Senior Center and the Veterans’ Office will burn the flags on site.

We will be updating the wall with additional names on a yearly basis. Those names will not be in alphabetical order. The next deadline date to submit an application is August 1, 2014 in order for a name to be added by November 11th, 2014. Please visit the Veterans’ Office with assistance filing an application.

Under Chapter 115 of Massachusetts General Laws (M.G.L. ch. 115), the Commonwealth provides a uniform program of financial and medical assistance for indigent veterans and their dependents. Qualifying veterans and their dependents receive necessary financial assistance for food, shelter, clothing, fuel, and medical care in accordance with a formula which takes into account the number of dependents and income from all sources. Eligible dependents of deceased veterans are provided with the same benefits as if the veteran were still living. For applications, contact the local Veterans’ Service Officer (VSO) in the city or town where the veteran lives.

Veterans and survivors who are eligible for a VA pension and require the aid and attendance of another person, or are housebound, may be eligible for additional monetary payment. These benefits are paid in addition to monthly pension, and they are not paid without eligibility to Pension. Please visit the Veterans’ Service office for assistance with the Aid and Attendance application process.

Disability Compensation is a tax free monetary benefit paid to Veterans with disabilities that are the result of a disease or injury incurred or aggravated during active military service. Compensation may also be paid for post-service disabilities that are considered related or secondary to disabilities occurring in service and for disabilities presumed to be related to circumstances of military service, even though they may arise after service. Generally, the degrees of disability specified are also designed to compensate for considerable loss of working time from exacerbations or illnesses. Please visit the Veterans’ Services office for assistance with the application for VA Disability Compensation.


Robert Davis

Veterans' Services Officer

Donna Diorio


Latest News View All

Posted on
MAR 29TH 2024

National Vietnam Veterans Day

Mayor Scott Galvin is pleased to announce he is working with Kathy Lucero of the Woburn Historical Society and in conjun...
From Mayor Scott Galvin: We are honored to j...