Domestic Violence Rights

If this is an emergency, dial 911.


You have the right to appear at the Superior, Probate and Family, District or Boston Municipal Court, if you reside within the approximate jurisdiction, and file a complaint requesting any of the following applicable orders:

  • An order restraining your attacker from abusing you
  • An order directing your attacker to leave your household, building or workplace
  • An order directing your attacker not to contact you or a child in your custody
  • An order awarding you custody of a minor child
  • An order directing your attacker to pay support for you or any minor child in your custody of the attacked has a legal obligation of support
  • An order directing your attacker to pay you for losses suffered as a result of abuse, including medical and moving expenses, loss of earnings or support, cost for restoring utilities and replacing locks, reasonable attorney fees and other out-of-pocket losses for injuries and property damage sustained
  • That your current or new address be kept confidential from the abuser for your safety.

Criminal Complaints

You have the right to go to the appropriate district court or the Boston Municipal Court and seek a criminal complaint for threats, assault and battery, assault with a deadly weapon, assault with intent to kill, or other related offenses.

Medical Treatment

If you are in need of medical treatment, you have the right to request that an officer present drive you to the nearest hospital or otherwise assist you in obtaining medical treatment.

Police Protection

If you believe that police protection is needed for your physical safety, you have the right to request that the other officer present remain at the scene until you or your children can leave or until your safety is otherwise ensured. You may also request that the officer assist you in locating and taking you to a safe place, including but not limited to a designated meeting place for a shelter or a family member’s or a friend’s residence, or a similar place of safety.

For an emergency on weekends, holidays, or week nights the police will refer you to a justice of the Superior, Probate and Family, District, or Boston Municipal Court Departments.

You may request a copy of the police incident report at no cost from the police department. For further assistance please contact the Woburn Police at 781-933-1212, 24 hours a day.